We try to keep this content unique and up-to-date. Consider using the social media buttons below, or add the page URL when sharing it anywhere.
The home-court advantage (HCA) is the net effect of several factors that may have a generally positive effect on the play of the home team and a generally negative effect on the play of the road team.
Possible Sources of Home Court Advantage in Basketball:
- Psychological support of the fans,
- Comfort of being at home, rather than traveling,
- Referees give home teams the benefit of the doubt,
- Teams are familiar with particulars/eccentricities of their home court,
- Different distributions of rest between home and road teams.
Calculating The Home Court Advantage:
Subtracting one team’s power rating from another can help predicting point diffential between the two teams. Unless the game is being played at a neutral site the “home court advantage” factor needs to be incorporated for more accurately predicting the point differential of a game.